SpyFu is a great tool for researching your competitors and knowing which keywords they’re targeting. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. And if you’re happy with its performance, then there’s really no reason to switch.
But what other SEO tools are out there? And is it worth switching to other products?
Below is a list of SpyFu alternatives and their core features. This should help you decide whether it’s time for you to move on to other brands or stay true to SpyFu.
Ahrefs is largely considered to be one of the best—if not the best—SEO tool today. So its inclusion in this list shouldn’t shock anyone.
This web-based software has amazing features that can go toe-to-toe with any other research tool. But its premium pricing might not work for everyone.
With that said, is Ahrefs a great SpyFu alternative?
Let’s take a look at some of its features.
How to Use Ahrefs
You can break down Ahrefs into five key features. These cover almost every aspect of SEO including competitor research.
- Site Explorer — With Site Explorer, you can see the organic traffic and backlink profile of a URL. The good thing about it is that you can use it on any domain, including your competition’s site. It shows you what keywords your competitors rank for, which pages get the most traffic, which sites link back to them, and their paid search performance.
- Keywords Explorer — You can use Keywords Explorer to get new keywords that you could target for your next SEO campaign. It claims that you can generate thousands of new words and phrases for up to ten different search engine platforms.
- Site Audit — This feature is what you use if you need to find issues that cause your domain to go down search rankings. Ahrefs has a checklist with over 100 SEO factors that contribute to poor SERP performance.
- Rank Tracker — See how well your domain performs against competitors in search results. Rank Tracker tells you where your pages rank in the SERPs for both desktop and mobile devices.
- Content Explorer — This feature will tell you which of your posts are the most popular. You can then sort the results by their organic traffic, referring domains, rating, traffic value, and social shares.
Ahrefs vs SpyFu
- Ahrefs has a fantastic backlink database of over 170 million active links.
- Ahrefs has an amazing data filtering system that helps you break down the results with specificity.
- Ahrefs has a growing and helpful community. There are also tons of useful resources if you ever need guidance on using the tool.
- SpyFu is more focused when it comes to competitor research.
- SpyFu is more affordable than Ahrefs.
- SpyFu provides unlimited data searches.
Ahrefs has four plans: Lite ($99/month), Standard ($179/month), Advanced ($399/month), and Agency ($999/month).
There is no free trial. However, you can pay $7 to try Ahrefs for 7 days.
SEO Powersuite stands out for one particular reason — it’s not a web-based software. That’s right. You have to install this product on a local computer.
Not that it doesn’t need an internet connection to work. You have to be online to download fresh data. But once you do, you can manage your data offline.
But what else does it offer?
How to Use SEO Powersuite
Every SEO Powersuite account comes with four standalone features — with each one fulfilling a specific purpose.
- Rank Tracker — This feature lets you check your ranking data and research new keywords to use. It supports location-specific rankings and claims to provide results from 327 search engines.
- SEO Spyglass — It’s SEO Powersuite’s competitor research tool. You can use this to find all the backlinks pointing back to a website. It has an Anti-Penalty Link Audit feature that shows you whenever there are potentially harmful links detected.
- Website Auditor — If your SEO site health is important to you, then we’ve got good news for you. SEO Powersuite’s Website Auditor will find any flaws throughout your domain like broken links and page load issues. It also checks on-page issues like keyword optimization and missing meta tags.
- Link Assistant — This provides a better way of managing your backlinks, especially if you plan on sending emails to prospective link building partners. Link Assistant will find the contact information for every domain that linked to you.
SEO Powersuite vs SpyFu
- SEO Powersuite’s Link Assistant is great for those launching a blogger outreach campaign.
- SEO Powersuite has an offline feature that lets you work regardless if you have an internet connection or not.
- SEO Powersuite has a free (but limited) version that lets you research unlimited sites and keywords.
- SpyFu provides tools for PPC data collection.
- SpyFu has a monthly payment option whereas SEO Powersuite only has annual plans.
- SpyFu makes its white-label reporting feature accessible starting from its mid-tier plan. SEO Powersuite only makes white-label reports available in its Enterprise plan.
Disregarding the free version, there are two SEO Powewrsuite plans available: Professional ($299/year) and Enterprise ($699/year).
When you think about it, SEO Powersuite’s Professional plan comes down to roughly $25/month. That’s still cheaper compared to SpyFu’s Basic (Annual) plan which is $33/month.
Moz Pro is a powerful SEO tool that has a solid reputation among SEOs. But does it have what it takes to replace SpyFu?
To find out, why don’t we look at Moz Pro’s features.
How to Use Moz Pro
Once you set up your campaign, you can start using all the features that Moz Pro has to offer. The setup process is quite easy and shouldn’t take you more than a couple of minutes to accomplish.
- Keyword Research — This feature lets you find high-value keywords quickly. And yes, you can compare your keyword results with your competitors. Moz Pro claims that their SERP data is always fresh (not older than two weeks).
- Rank Tracking — Measure your success by tracking the keywords that you’re ranking for. This feature will give you an idea of which pages work and which ones are not contributing to your SEO success.
- Site Crawl — This will reveal the technical issues you have to address. Moz will crawl your site and look for SEO errors like incorrect redirects, missing metadata, and the like. Site Crawl will tell you the issue, how it affects your site, and what you can do to fix it.
- On-Page Optimization — Think of it as Site Crawl but for specific pages. Instead of technical issues, however, it will look for SEO factors that you weren’t able to optimize. This includes missing metadata and keyword improvements. Again, Moz will explain what the errors are and how you can fix them.
- Link Research — This is Moz’s backlink research tool. And as with most backlink tools, this will give you a list of your best and worst backlinks based on a few metrics. You can compare your link profile with up to four competitors. There is a backlink management feature that lets you keep track of your link building campaign.
Moz Pro vs SpyFu
- Moz Pro has 24/7 customer support.
- Moz Pro comes with access to its Chrome extension, MozBar.
- Moz Pro has a friendly approach to navigating users through optimizing their domain.
- SpyFu has more features that directly address competitor data.
- SpyFu offers unlimited data exports and search results.
- SpyFu is way more affordable than Moz Pro.
You can choose from one of four plans: Standard ($99/month), Medium ($149/month), Large ($249/month), and Premium ($599/month).
The good news is that Moz is generous with their free trial. They give you 30 days to try the Medium plan at no cost to you.
Majestic SEO is an SEO tool that focuses primarily on link analysis. And one of its claims is that it has a really big backlink index.
With that said, this is a great tool for finding backlink data for domains that belong to you and your competitors.
How to Use Majestic SEO
Here are some of the features you can expect when you sign up for a Majestic SEO account.
- Campaign — Use this feature to enter the domain you want Majestic to track. Every campaign will automatically update to give you the most recent data including referring domains and backlink information.
- Site Explorer — Here you’ll find a summary that details your current SEO status. It’s supposed to give you a quick glimpse of important data about your domain like your Trust Flow and Citation Flow. But exploring the other tabs within Site Explorer will reveal additional link-related data.
- Bulk Backlink Checker — This tells you how many backlinks the entered domain has.
- Keyword Generator — You can enter a site and Keyword Generator will tell you its most valuable keywords. Metrics include search volume, keyword difficulty, and frequency (the relative difficulty of rankings).
Majestic SEO vs SpyFu
- Majestic SEO uses its proprietary metric called Citation and Trust Flow to measure a site’s authority.
- Majestic SEO shows you a backlink’s niche which makes it easier to identify link building opportunities.
- Majestic SEO has a tool called Lost Link Tracker that tells you how many links you’ve lost.
- SpyFu has unlimited data exports, domain overview, and search results.
- SpyFu has more focus on competitor research.
- SpyFu is more cost-effective than Majestic SEO.
The Lite plan is the most affordable at $49.99/month. Next is its most popular plan, Pro, that costs $99.99/month. The last plan, API, is the priciest at $399.99/month.
There is no free trial offered. However, there is a 7-day money-back guarantee for new customers. However, you’ll need to contact customer support if you want a refund.
You can pay using a credit card, debit card, or through your PayPal account.
iSpionage is probably one of the closest alternatives to SpyFu in this list. That’s because it directly targets your competition’s data.
But will the pricing and features make it worth the switch? Or are you better off sticking to SpyFu?
Let’s find out.
How to Use iSpionage
Like every other SEO tool we’ve featured in this list, iSpionage has several features that make it so easy to get the latest information about your competitor’s SEO strategy.
- Competitor Research — iSpionage will look at your competition’s SEO and PPC campaigns. This includes keyword information from three search engines: Google, Bing, and Yahoo. It can also draw data from specific markets: US, UK, Canada, and Australia. All you need to do is enter your competitor’s domain and let iSpionage handle the rest.
- Campaign Watch — This lets iSpionage track keywords and rankings. That way, you know how well your pages perform on search engines.
- PPC Landing Page Gallery — Get inspired by iSpionage’s compilation of the best landing page designs that they sourced from all over the internet.
While it doesn’t look much, iSpionage’s features are more than capable of delivering important competitor data.
Its PPC Keyword tool, for example, provides metrics like ad count, KEI, CPC, average search volume, average position, and many more.
The Organic Keyword tool, on the other hand, can show details like your competitor’s best-performing pages, the keywords they rank for, their position in the SERPs, search volume, trend, and CPC.
And if you want a more direct comparison, there is also a feature called Compare. Here you can enter your rivals’ URLs and see which of you has the upper hand in the SERPs.
iSpionage vs SpyFu
- iSpionage offers both SEO and SEM data like SpyFu.
- iSpionage offers data from more regions (US, UK, Canada, and Australia). SpyFu only covers the US and UK.
- iSpionage has a great user interface and design.
- SpyFu is much more affordable.
- SpyFu has better features. The iSpionage Landing Page Gallery, for example, is a good addition but is unnecessary for most users.
- SpyFu lets you access unlimited data. However, it’s worth noting that iSpionage does let you do unlimited competitor research. iSpionage caps the data exports though unless you subscribe to the Advanced plan.
There are three plans available: Starter ($59/month), Professional ($99/month), and Advanced ($299/month). For those who’d like a customized solution, there is an Enterprise plan.
The pricing is a little over what SpyFu offers but not by much. With an annual plan, these prices can even go lower by as much as 15%.
SEOprofiler is another all-in-one solution to your SEO needs. The good thing about it is that it not only focuses on your domain, but it can also be used on competitors.
However, it’s not as user-friendly as some of the other tools we mentioned. So this is more ideal for SEOs who already know how to perform the necessary changes they need to make.
How to Use SEOprofiler
As you’d expect from an all-in-one SEO tool, SEOprofiler comes packed with rich features to help you optimize your domain to its full potential.
- Site Optimization — SEOprofiler combines analytics data and web optimization factors to give you a comprehensive report on everything that’s working well for your domain. It will also let you know what you can do to further optimize your site.
- Keyword Research — Simply enter your main keyword and SEOprofiler will provide relevant keywords in your niche.
- Competitive Intelligence — This is the feature you need to spy on competitors. Not only does it identify who your rivals are, but it also tells the keywords they’re focused on and which pages of theirs rank in the SERPs.
- Link Building — The Starter Links feature tells you how many backlinks you can earn with ease. It takes into account the source, making sure that you only contact sources that are reputable.
- Link Analysis — It assesses the quality of the backlinks you’ve received. From there, you can filter the links to determine which ones you should retain and which ones you should disavow.
- Rank Tracking — This feature tells you if your pages rank for the search terms you’re targeting. SEOprofiler updates this information daily, meaning you’ll always be on top of things.
- Local SEO — If your business is local, you can use the Local SEO feature to make sure your pages rank for a specific region or area.
- Mobile SEO — It’s SEOprofiler’s way of helping you with SEO research for mobile devices.
SEOprofiler vs SpyFu
- SEOprofiler does everything you need including competitor research.
- SEOprofiler has features like Local SEO and Mobile SEO that lets you target a specific audience.
- SEOprofiler claims to provide more keywords than other keyword tools.
- SpyFu does not place a cap on some SEO research features unlike SEOprofiler. But it’s worth noting that SEOprofiler does not put a cap on reporting.
- SpyFu is less expensive than SEOprofiler.
- SpyFu is much easier to use compared to SEOprofiler.
You get to pick from one of four plans: Standard ($69.95/month), Smart ($99.99/month; first 7 days is free), Professional ($249.95/month), and Enterprise ($999.95/month).
Only the Smart plan and higher have white-label reporting. It must also be pointed out that its mid-tier plan gives access to five users. That’s more than some of the other SEO tools out there.