Gone are the days when your content can rank on the 1st page of Google by keyword stuffing.
Now you’re competing with thousands, if not millions, of people writing about your niche. Meaning it won’t be easy to be visible to your audience.
Aside from creating high-quality and engaging content, there’s another thing you should consider…
Is it SEO-friendly? Can Google and other search engines crawl and understand your content?
Ranking on the first page is difficult and time-consuming if you do it ALONE. You need to invest in tools that will help you ease the process.
This is where *cue drum roll* SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant comes in handy.
We will discuss what it is, its features, and how you can use it below.
If you want to check what other valuable SEMrush features, we wrote a comprehensive SEMrush review.
- What Is SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant?
- SEO Writing Assistant Features
- OPTIMIZE YOUR CONTENT USING SEMRUSH SEO WRITING ASSISTANT (SWA) TOOL
- How to Change Targeted Keywords
- SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant: Conclusion
What Is SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant?
This SEMrush tool will help you in creating and optimizing your written text by giving recommendations for improvement. It will check your content’s readability, originality, tone of voice, and SEO-friendliness.
The suggestions this feature will provide aren’t random. They’re based on the top 10 articles/pages on Google in your chosen keyword or topic.
SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant is navigable and straightforward. Plus, the recommendations are clear-cut. Even someone who doesn’t have an idea about SEO can understand and follow them.
SEO Writing Assistant Features
This is where you type or copy and paste your content. This feature lets you edit your headings (h1/h2) and body, bold or italicize your words, and create bullet forms or numbered lists.
All of the changes made on Quick Checker will reflect in real-time.
SEMrush will provide you with winning SEO suggestions by analyzing your target keywords and audience. You are allowed to change or edit this part later on.
Overall Content Score
It is presented by a responsive chart that changes in real-time.
This feature indicates how optimized your content is. It measures four vital aspects: readability, SEO, tone of voice, and originality. The closer you are to 10, the better your SEO awriting practices are.
SEMrush uses Flesch reading-ease score to measure your content’s readability score. A 0 score means your text is too complicated to understand. And a score of 100 indicates the opposite.
Some other features under readability score are:
- Words. Show you the total word count of your written text and the average word count of your top 10 competitors on Google.
- Title Issues. Provide you with the list of problems your title has. Like if the characters are over the suggested limit of Google or if you need to add more.
- Content Issues. Show you a list of issues your written text has. SWA will let you check which exact sentences or paragraphs need revisions. (how do you like that?!)
SWA will give you actionable SEO suggestions divided into five categories:
- Target Keywords. Inform if you were able to use your target keywords on your content. It will also show if you’re overusing a keyword. This part is editable if you want to add more keywords to target.
- Recommended Keywords. Provide you with more keywords that can improve your SEO results.
- Alt attribute issues. Show which pictures need an alt attribute text. Alt attributes make your images crawlable to search engines. Also, it describes the image through text when it can’t be displayed.
- Link issues. Like Content Issues, it will point out the broken links in your post.
- Title Issues. Inform you how many keywords are on your title and if you need to make any adjustments.
Tone of Voice
This feature helps you identify the consistency of your voice on your written content. The scale ranges from very casual, somewhat casual, neutral, somewhat formal, and very formal.
You can change your target voice depending on your brand voice or how you’d like to communicate with your audience.
It also shows the exact sentences that don’t match your chosen voice.
This is a plagiarism checker. It shows you the percentage or number of words that are similar to other articles on the web.
You are only allowed to do five checks for the Guru plan. You’ll need to pay for extra $5/month to get ten more originality reviews.
Google Add-ons/ WordPress Plugin
SEMrush allows you to use SWA on Google Docs or WordPress as an extension so you can check your existing content directly. No need to copy and paste your content on Quick Checker.
You can use it as an extension by clicking “Get Add-on for Google Docs” or “Get Add-on for WordPress”.
Alt attribute recommendations work better and more accurately on Google Docs and WordPress.
Free and Pro SEMrush accounts are only allowed one SEO idea unit.
Guru users can enjoy 800 SEO ideas per month. Business SEMrush account can use 2000 SEO ideas per month.
NOTE: 1 Keyword = 1 SEO ideas unit. SEO ideas are distributed between three tools – SEO Content Template, SEO Writing Assistant, and On-page SEO Checker.
- The swiss knife of SEO tools
- Excellent organic search research features
- Great tool for content research, creation, optimization, and distribution
- Manage all digital marketing tasks in a single place
- Backlink filtering needs work
SEMrush is one of the best marketing tools in the market – if not the best. It has everything you need to optimize and maximize your site’s performance in all aspects of your online business. And you can do that in a single dashboard! The best thing about this tool is the ability to research for data, whether it’s keywords or content, and turn it into actionable items for your marketing strategy.
OPTIMIZE YOUR CONTENT USING SEMRUSH SEO WRITING ASSISTANT (SWA) TOOL
Optional step: Review your target keyword first by using the SEO Content Template. It will show you a list of your top ten rivals and key recommendations.
1. If you have target keywords already, do the following: Go to the Content Marketing Dashboard and click SEO Content Writing Assistant. Click the “Get Recommendations” button.
2. Copy and paste your content on the Quick Checker. For this example, I will use an article that I recently wrote about SEMrush Competitor Analysis.
3. Write down your targeted keywords on the right side and choose the location of your target audience.
4. Click “Get Recommendations”.
5. After a few minutes, it will show you some recommendations and the overall score of your content.
6. Click the a specific to identify what needs to be done. Let’s choose “Readability” for this example. Try to solve all the issues under readability.
7. The score will change in an instant as you follow the suggestions. Like what I did for this example: I solved my title issue. From 8.6, my score went up to 8.9.
8. You can change your target readability for your preference. Click the pencil icon beside “Readability”.
9. Repeat steps 6 and 7 and aim to score a perfect ten.
How to Change Targeted Keywords
1.Click “SEO” on the chart.
2.Click the pencil icon beside “SEO”.
3.Add or remove target keywords or your target audience’s location.
4.Save it by clicking “Change Keywords”.
5. Once you changed or add a keyword, it will be counted as a new SEO Idea Unit.
SEMrush SEO Writing Assistant: Conclusion
This tool can save business owners and writers from headaches and stress related to publishing high-quality content! You won’t regret using this tool.
SEO Writing Assistant, paired with other SEMrush tools like SEO Content Template and Topic Research, can improve your content marketing strategy and create relevant content for your audience.