SEMrush is one of the most popular SEO tools available for online marketing professionals — and for good reason.
It’s a fantastic all-in-one solution that will cover most of your needs. But while it’s the ideal solution for most folks, you might think differently.
Maybe you want something more affordable? Or maybe you’re only interested in a specific feature and aren’t willing to pay more for ones you will never use?
In any case, we’ve compiled a list of SEMrush alternatives that are worth checking out.
When people ask for a SEMrush alternative, Ahrefs is usually the first answer that comes to mind. It can perform most of the same tasks that SEMrush can. And it does have an extensive link database. This means more accurate results when you perform backlink research.
Like SEMrush, Ahrefs is an all-in-one SEO research tool. It provides you information you could use to improve your domain’s SERP rankings.
- Site Explorer — Using Site Explorer, you can enter any domain and get key metrics that digs deeper into that domain’s SEO health. You’ll find its Ahrefs rank, URL rating, domain rating, number of referring domains, organic keywords it ranks for, total number of backlinks, among other relevant data.
- Backlinks — You can use Ahrefs to find new, old, and broken backlinks. There’s even a feature called Link Intersect that could show you which sites link back to your competitors but haven’t linked back to yours. Its a great feature to have if you plan on launching a link building campaign anytime soon.
- Keyword Explorer — The Keyword Explorer shows you words and phrases you’d want to capitalize on to be more competitive in the SERPs.
- Content Explorer — This shows you the top posts for your target keyword. But not only will you find the most popular posts, but you’d also see other metrics including how many likes each post got across social media platforms.
- Rank Checker — It lets you enter keywords you want to track and shows you where your pages rank in the SERPs. It also indicates which of your pages rank for every keyword entered.
- Site Audit — Site Audit reports on possible issues you could have on your site that you need to address ASAP. It crawls your entire site and finds errors like slow-loading pages, non-working redirects, broken CSS, and other related problems.
What’s Great About Ahrefs?
Sure, Ahrefs is famous for the quality of the data it returns. But what’s even more impressive about it is its filtering system.
You can make your searches as refined as possible to get the exact results you need. This makes keyword and backlink research really easy.
It’s also notable for its content features. Not all SEO tools can guide you toward optimizing content based on search intent. Having social media metrics included in Content Explorer is also a fantastic move.
Ahrefs offers four pricing plans: Lite ($99/month), Standard ($179), Advanced ($399/month), and Agency ($999/month).
There’s no free trial option. However, you can try it out for $7. This trial run lasts seven days.
For those of you who’ll need team access, Ahrefs can be pricy considering both Lite and Standard plans only come with one user access. So that that into consideration. Additional access will set you back $30/user.
You could say that Ahrefs is one of the pricier alternatives to SEMrush. But considering what you’re getting with Ahrefs, it’s worth the cost.
Ahrefs is one of the best all-around SEO tools out there.
SEO Powersuite isn’t a standalone software but rather a collection of products rolled into one package.
There is a way to buy each product individually. However, if you plan on replacing SEMrush with SEO Powersuite, you’ll need to purchase the whole package.
SEO Powersuite Features
While it’s not as feature-rich as some of the entries in this list, SEO Powersuite is powerful enough to address most of the concerns of online marketing professionals.
As mentioned earlier, SEO Powersuite is a collection of products. There are four products in the suite. And each one plays a specific role.
- SEO Powersuite Website Auditor — This is the dedicated space for finding potential risks to your overall SEO health. Using this feature, you’ll find pages with issues like duplicate title tags, missing keywords, incomplete metadata, and others like them.
- SEO Powersuite Rank Tracker — Rank Tracker lets you see if your pages rank for the words and phrases you’ve set out to target. The product provides details beyond rankings though. You’d also see your current visibility, rank difference (how many spots you’ve moved up or down the SERPs), and more.
- SEO Powersuite Spyglass Tool — Use this product to find out whether you should disavow a backlink or not. It provides you with crucial details like page PR, Alexa Rank, domain age, anchor text, and other details you could use to assess site quality. You can also use this to see which sites link back to your competitor.
- SEO Powersuite Link Assistant — Once you find prospective backlink sources, you can use Link Assistant to manage all of them. It compiles all the backlinks you’ve saved so you could reference them when it’s time to send outreach emails. And just to be clear: You can use Link Assistant to send outreach emails. It will keep track of your progress up until you secure a link.
What’s Great About SEO Powersuite?
SEO Powersuite is the SEMrush alternative for those who’d prefer an SEO software rather than a cloud-based solution.
There are certain advantages to installing an SEO tool over accessing it online. For one thing, SEO Powersuite lets you manage your data even if you don’t have internet access. However, do note that you’ll have to go back online if you want to retrieve fresh data.
Another thing worth mentioning is that SEO Powersuite comes with unlimited sites and keywords. No matter what plan you choose, you’ll never have to worry about running out of credits to run searches unlike other SEO tools.
SEO Powersuite Pricing
There are three available plans. The first one is the Forever Free plan which—as the name suggests—costs you nothing. It has limited features but it comes with unlimited data like the paid subscriptions.
Then there are the Professional and Enterprise plans. The former costs $299/year while the latter is $699/year. These are considerably cheaper given that some SEO research tools cost about that much per month.
But keep in mind that you’d have to pay another license if you want to add another user to your account.
KWFinder is a product by Mangools, a company that sells SEO software.
If your main priority is keyword research, then you might want to hold off subscribing to SEMrush — at least until you see what KWFinder can do for you.
It is, after all, considered to be one of the best keyword research tools in the market.
- Keyword Difficulty Tool — Using the Keyword Difficulty Tool, you can discover keywords that are easy to rank for. It will show you every keyword’s search volume and difficulty rating — two indicators of which terms you have the highest chances of ranking pages for.
- Competitor Keyword Research Tool — By spying on your competitor’s target keywords, you’ll see which terms you’ve been missing out on. This is a great place to start if you have no idea what words or phrases you should focus on.
- Historical Search Data — See the exact search volume a keyword gets through this feature. Seeing trends in keyword usage lets you know when’s the right time to target a keyword. This is especially useful for marketers who promote seasonal items.
- Local Keyword Research Tool — Do you need to optimize your site for a particular location? The Local Keyword Research Tool can help with that. It lets you find region-specific terms by country, city, or state.
The good news is that if you subscribe to Mangools, you’d get access to all its products. So you also get to use the following:
- SERPChecker — A competitor research tool helps you find your competitor’s weak points.
- SERPWatcher — See how your pages perform in the search engine results pages. Get updates on a daily basis so you’re never caught off guard.
- LinkMiner — See backlinks that point to your pages. You can also use this to find your competitor’s backlinks. When you preview the referring website, LinkMiner will even see where the link is placed.
- SiteProfiler — If you want to see a domain’s SEO health, SiteProfiler has your back. It will show you the domain authority, page authority, citation flow, trust flow, Alexa Rank, and other crucial metrics. You’ll also get a glimpse of the domain’s backlinks, top content, audience, and competitors.
What’s Great About KWFinder?
Perhaps the best thing about KWFinder is its ease of use. Anyone using it for the first time will have no problem navigating through the friendly user interface.
You can pick from one of three Mangools plans: Basic ($49/month), Premium ($69/month), and Agency ($129/month).
Keep in mind that there are caps on how many keywords you could look up. So if you’re working with a lot of clients, you might want to consider the higher-tier plans.
Both Premium and Agency plans have unlimited competitor keyword searches.
If you want to check out the tool before committing, you can go ahead and start a 10-day free trial. You don’t even need to enter your credit card information to start.
Moz is no stranger to most SEO experts. Moz Pro, the company’s flagship product, packs a number of features that are comparable to SEMrush.
So, what features does Moz Pro offer its subscribers?
Moz Pro Features
- Campaigns — This is where you enter the domains you want to optimize. It gives you an overview of your SEO health. You can integrate Google Analytics to get even more accurate results.
- Rankings — When you enter your target keywords, Moz will show you which of your pages rank for those terms. And by adding your competitors’ domain, you can compare your ranking with theirs. Another neat thing about the Rankings feature is that it notifies you if you start ranking for terms that you’re not even tracking.
- Page Optimization — You can optimize specific pages through this feature. You’re given an overall page score along with a list of issues you could fix to improve it.
- Site Crawl — Site Crawl shows you errors on a sitewide scale. But unlike Page Optimization, the problems listed here are more technical in scope. These have more to do with crawler warnings, metadata issues, incorrect redirects, and stuff of that nature.
- Links — Like the other SEO tools we’ve mentioned, Moz too can go through your backlinks and give you data on which ones are worth keeping. The results include metrics like Page Authority, Domain Authority, spam score, anchor text used, and more.
- Keyword Research — Not sure what keywords you need to target? Enter a seed term in Keyword Research and let Moz figure it out. You’ll not only see related keywords for your campaign, but it also tells you their difficulty, organic CTR, and priority.
What’s Great About Moz Pro?
Moz Pro is one of the most trusted names in SEO. And while some would argue that Ahrefs and SEMrush have overtaken Moz Pro as far as products go, there are those who still stand by this brand.
If you’re looking for an SEO tool with a strong SEO community tied to it, you might want to look into Moz Pro. Its research features can provide most of the data you’ll need to build your campaign.
Moz also makes it easy to compare your domain with your competitor’s. There are specific features that do exactly that. The Link Research feature, in particular, works like a charm.
Moz Pro Pricing
Moz Pro offers a free 30-day trial. So we suggest that you start with that before subscribing. There are four main plans to choose from: Standard ($99/month), Medium ($149/month), Large ($249/month), and Premium ($599/month).
There is an Enterprise option for users with specific needs. You’ll have to get in touch with Moz representatives for a quote if this option sounds interesting to you.
Every plan comes with a one-on-one walkthrough, 24-hour supports, and access to the Q&A forum.
The Standard and Medium plans only allow one user to access the account. Large allows three users to work together. Premium raises the user count to five.
SpyFu, for those who don’t know, is a web-based software that specializes in SEO and PPC strategies. But unlike other tools, this one puts a heavy emphasis on using your competitor’s own data against them.
The idea is that instead of starting your campaign from scratch, you can look at other sites in your niche and replicate the strategy that works for them.
Here’s what SpyFu has to offer:
- SEO Research — This feature extracts competitor information like their keywords, backlinks, ranking history, and more. This section gives you an overview of what your competitor is up to.
- PPC Research — It works the same way as SEO Research only in this case, you get metrics that help you with pay-per-click campaigns.
- Keyword Research — Find keywords to use in your SEO strategy. Keyword Research shows you details about the search term you submitted as well as related keywords, ranking history, backlinks, keyword grouping, and more relevant data.
- Backlinks — Not only does SpyFu tell you which sites link back to you and your competitors, but it also helps with your outreach campaign. For example, it uses social outreach to condition prospects before you contact them for link building opportunities.
- Tracking — If you need to track your campaign’s success, then you’re going to need SpyFu’s Tracking feature. This will tell you if your pages moved up or down SERP rankings. To make things easier for you, you can organize your keywords into groups or assign tags for easy reference.
- Reporting — You can create reports to share with clients or team members. This makes collaboration a breeze.
What’s Great About SpyFu?
If competitor analysis is on top of your list, then you definitely want to check out SpyFu. It’s comparable to SEMrush when it comes to spying on competitors.
And as far as data goes, the results are just as good. It’s also great for those who plan on implementing a PPC strategy in the near future. Even beginners would have no problem interpreting the data thanks to the tool’s visually appealing presentation.
Those of you who are used to more comprehensive SEO tools might want to look elsewhere.
Choose from three of SpyFu’s pricing plans. There’s the Basic plan ($33/month), Professional ($39/1st month [$78/month afterward]), and Team ($299/month).
One of SpyFu’s advantages is that users get unlimited data regardless of what plan they select. It’s also one of the cheaper SEO tools out there with the Basic plan costing $39/month — and it’s even cheaper if you pay annually.
The team plan lets you add up to five users.
You can create custom reports across all plans. But you are limited to a certain number depending on which plan you selected.
The Pro and Team plans have white-label reporting features. This means you can make reports look unique to your brand before passing them off to your clients.
Unfortunately, SpyFu does not have a free trial offer. But there is a 30-day money-back guarantee.
SE Ranking may not be as popular as SEMrush or any of the other SEO tools out there. But it’s actually a great alternative to those powerhouse brands.
Because not only can SE Ranking deliver great results, but it is also an affordable solution. And that’s mainly due to its unique pricing structure (more on that later).
SE Ranking Features
But before we get into cost, let’s look at the features that make SE Ranking worth buying to begin with.
- SEO Tools — SE Ranking has all the features you’ve come to expect from an SEO tool. This includes Website Audit, On-Page and Backlink Checker, Backlink Monitoring, and Keyword Suggestion Tool.
- Keyword Rank Tracker — Rank Tracking is SE Ranking’s bread and butter. And it doesn’t disappoint. You can check the rankings of your pages across multiple platforms that include Google, Yahoo, Bing, and YouTube. You can also specify what country, city, or postcode to use. And on top of that, you can set it to check results for both mobile and desktop search results.
- SEO/PPC Competitor Research — SE Ranking can tell you which keywords your competitors bid on. That makes this product another option for people who plan on launching a PPC campaign.
- Reporting — You get access to white-label reports. But if you want your team or clients to be more hands-on, you can give them access. You can set which role each one has for security purposes. You can limit their movement within the tool.
- Social Media Management — You can use SE Ranking to schedule posts across your social media platforms. It even tells you the best time to post your content to get better user engagement.
What’s Great About SE Ranking?
SE Ranking’s B2B features make it a great tool for finding business leads and connecting with clients.
You can use SE Ranking’s Lead Generator to attract new business. Potential clients need only to enter their contact details on a form you embed to your pages. Once they do so, their information will be stored on your database and they get a free SEO audit. It’s a win-win for everyone.
SE Ranking Pricing
SE Ranking’s pricing plan is a bit unusual. There are three plans: Optimum ($39/month), Plus ($89/month), and Enterprise ($189/month).
However, by configuring a few options, these rates could change.
For example: If you choose to have SE Ranking check your rankings on a weekly basis (instead of daily), pay annually (instead of monthly), and set keyword tracking to 250 keywords/month, you’d get a 60% discount.
That brings down the price of the Optimum plan to $18.6/month.
Now that’s huge savings. We encourage you to play with the pricing options. But remember to keep it balanced. You don’t want to run out of keywords because you didn’t plan ahead.
Use SE Ranking’s Pricing Plan Calculator if you need help deciding which is the right plan for your business.
But be warned: Those who are looking for comprehensive data might want to explore other options. For beginners, though, this should go above and beyond your expectations.
Serpstat is yet another contender for the crown of the best SEMrush alternative. Just like SEMrush, it has all the tools you’ll need to develop a solid campaign against your business rivals.
So, what kind of features can you expect from a product like Serpstat?
- Keyword Research — Can you get thousands of keyword ideas from a single term? Of course, it is. That’s exactly what Serpstat’s Keyword Research feature does when you enter a word or phrase.
- Competitor Analysis — Don’t know who your competitors are? Serpstat can figure it out for you. All you need to do is enter your target keyword and it will pull a list of domains that rank for that term. You can then go on to inspect their backlinks and other keywords they rank for. You can also review their PPC ads.
- On-Page Optimization — You can launch a site-wide audit to find issues that plague your site. Or you can do it on a page level. Regardless, you’ll need this feature to address problems that prevent you from ranking higher in the SERPs.
- Link Building — You can find new, lost, and existing backlinks through this feature. If the backlinks aren’t living up to their purpose or if the numbers aren’t great, you can disavow these backlinks. You can also look at the backlinks that your competitors get.
- Content Marketing — This feature helps you develop optimized content by showing you keywords that you could add to your posts. It even shows you questions you should answer based on the topic you’re writing about.
- SERP Analysis — Now you can analyze the top results for your target keyword. It shows you the top pages, their Serpstat Trust Rank, Page Rank, external backlinks, and referring domains. There’s also a grade showing you just how hard it is to rank for that keyword.
- Keyword Clustering — Are you having trouble keeping your keywords organized? Let Keyword Clustering help you. Now you can group similar terms together so you can reference them later on.
What’s Great About Serpstat?
Serpstat is a great option for those of you who work with large teams. Not only does Serpstat’s plans give you cheaper options, but it’s also more generous with the number of users who get access.
Serpstat is definitely worth considering just for the user access alone. It opens the door for collaboration unlike some of the tools mentioned in this post.
There are four plans available: Lite ($69/month), Standard ($149/month), Advanced ($299/month), and Enterprise ($499/month).
If you ever need more data, you can contact the Serpstat team for more information.
While the Lite plan is more suited for those who work alone, the other plans let you add at least three users to the account. The higher the plan, the more users you can add.
Serpstat works on a credit system. Meaning data can run out if you don’t use them wisely. If you work with more than one client, we suggest you try Advanced or Enterprise so you don’t run out of credits mid-month.
While its interface might leave you wanting, SEOprofiler is a respectable alternative to SEMrush.
Let’s look at some of the things SEOprofiler can do.
- Website Optimization — SEOprofiler combines web analytics and site optimization to properly optimize your whole domain. The feature scores your pages and provides hints on how you can correct errors that cause your site harm.
- Keyword Research — SEOprofiler’s Keyword Research feature lets you discover new words and phrases to target. But what’s cool about its search function is that you can set the country and language, level of competition, CPC, opportunity, position, and other metrics that will help you refine the results.
- Competitive Intelligence — Get to know who your competitors are, what pages of theirs rank in the SERPs, and the keywords that they’re using. You can even go and look at the ads they’re running.
- Link Building — The Starter Links feature tells you how many backlinks you can earn from reputable domains. That’s an easy way to start your link building campaign. Now you don’t have to manually search for sites you could reach out to.
- Link Analysis — SEOprofiler has the backlink checker and link disinfectant features. What they do is go over your backlinks and assess which ones you should let go of and which ones are worth keeping.
- Rank Tracking — As with the other rank tracking features, this lets you know if your pages managed to hit their mark. SEOprofiler tracks changes in the SERPs every day.
- Local SEO — There’s a feature that helps you rank for localized terms. Great news for those of you who work with local entrepreneurs.
- Mobile SEO — If mobile search results are your priority, then you can count on SEOprofiler’s Mobile SEO feature to handle it. You can use it to optimize your domain for searches made on smartphones and tablets.
What’s Great About SEOprofiler?
This tool is definitely built for hardcore professionals. If you’re new to using SEO tools, you might find the interface hard to work with.
However, if you’re used to working with SEO tools and you know exactly what you’re doing, you might actually prefer SEOprofiler over SEMrush.
You might also like SEOprofiler’s white-label reports. Reports are easy to customize. So if you’re like us and you hate making reports from scratch, then this tool might be the one for you.
But be warned: There are things about SEOprofiler that could turn off users. Things like having to manually enter all the details about your domain before it can capture information. This is the reason why it’s hard to recommend SEOprofiler to those who are new to SEO tools.
SEOprofiler will not hold your hand through the process.
Then there’s the fact that data extraction is a bit slow. It’s fine if you don’t have a lot of data to process. But if you have a big domain, this could become a problem.
The good news is that you can try SEOprofiler for free. The trial lasts for a week. After that, you start paying the regular price.
There are four plans available: Standard ($69.95/month), Smart ($99.95/month), Professional ($249.95/month), and Enterprise ($999.95/month).
We should point out that the Professional plan lets you have 15 users while Enterprise has no cap on the number of users you can add. That’s quite a steal especially if you plan on giving an entire team access to your SEOprofiler account.
However, there is a cap on how many keywords you can check, pages you can audit, and projects you could start — unless you’re on the Enterprise plan, that is.