Ahrefs is one of the best SEO tools that you could spend your money on. You might find that statement a bold one. But we assure you: You won’t have any trouble finding online marketers that would agree with it.
But what if you don’t want to use Ahrefs? What are your options?
The good news is that you’re not really short on options. In fact, we can show you seven SEO tools that are comparable to Ahrefs. In certain applications, some of them even surpass Ahrefs.
So why don’t we go ahead and explore the best Ahrefs alternatives you can purchase today.
SEMrush is perhaps the biggest name on this list — and for good reason. Not only is it a good product, but there’s also a strong community backing it.
What’s great about it is that it’s an all-in-one solution. That means you’ll have all the tools you’ll need to launch a full-blown SEO campaign. With it, you can research keywords, backlinks, content, social media stats, and more.
How to Use SEMrush
The best way to see what SEMrush can do is by experiencing it first-hand. From the main dashboard, you’ll find all of the product’s features. Simply select one to get started.
Here’s a short description of what each feature can do for you.
- Organic Research — This includes Site Audit, Content Analyzer, On-Page SEO Checker, Domain Overview, and Traffic Analysis. Use this to gauge your site’s overall SEO health. Through these features, you’ll know if there are issues that drag your domain down the search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Keyword Research — We can split this feature into three: Keyword Magic Tool, Keyword Difficulty, and Keyword Gap. While each one performs a different task, they all have on thing in common. They all provide you words and phrases you could target to rank higher in search engines. Keyword Gap is especially useful since it can look at your competitors and show you which keywords they’re focusing on.
- Link Building — Backlink Analytics tells you which domains link back to your content. But it doesn’t stop there. It also gives you metrics you could use to determine which backlinks are worth keeping and which ones to let go. The Backlink Audit feature identifies spammy links that you should disavow. You can use Backlink Gap to find sites that haven’t linked to you but currently link to your competitors.
- Content Marketing — Are you running out of ideas? You can use the Content Marketing feature to come up with new topics for your posts. Just enter your target keyword or niche and let SEMrush sort it out. It also gives subject recommendations based on what your rivals post online.
- Social Media — SEMrush measures your social media performance. And if you want, you can also look at your competitor’s activity as well. You can also add your posting schedule so you can manage your posting calendar from one location. This feature does a great job of letting you know what people say about your brand across platforms.
This is an incredibly brief overview of what SEMrush can do. We suggest that you check out our full SEMrush review where we discuss these features in greater detail.
SEMrush vs Ahrefs
- SEMrush stands toe-to-toe with Ahrefs when it comes to features.
- SEMrush lets you try the product for free while Ahrefs doesn’t
- SEMrush is the better option if you plan on launching a PPC campaign anytime soon.
- Ahrefs has a better user interface compared to SEMrush.
- Ahrefs customer support is easier to reach compared to SEMrush.
- Ahrefs’ mid-tier plan (Standard – $179/month) is less expensive than its SEMrush counterpart (Guru – $199.95/month).
There are three SEMrush pricing plans to choose from: Pro ($99.95/month), Guru ($199.95/month), and Business ($399.95/month).
There is an Enterprise plan for agencies with specific needs.
Save for the aforementioned mid-tier pricing, Ahrefs and SEMrush have virtually identical pricing.
SEO Powersuite is best known as an SEO software that you have to download and install on your computer.
Just to be clear though: You will need to go online every time you want to retrieve data. But once that’s done, you can manage it without an internet connection.
As its name implies, SEO Powersuite is a suite of features that helps you boost your domain’s SEO health.
How to Use SEO Powersuite
Below are the four features included with every subscription.
- SEO Powersuite Website Auditor — Use the Website Editor to look at your site and see if there are errors that need fixing. These include indexing, redirects, mobile-friendliness, and broken links.
- SEO Powersuite Rank Tracker — This feature tells you which of your pages rank for your target keyword. You can schedule when you want Rank Tracker to check search engines. It lets you add as many keywords as needed.
- SEO Powersuite Spyglass Tool — This feature is SEO Powersuite’s version of a backlink checker. You get to analyze your backlinks and see which ones are worth keeping. It shows you the linking page, the anchor text used, the page PR, the Alexa Rank, and more.
- SEO Powersuite Link Assistant — The Link Assistant makes your backlinks easier to manage. You can set an outreach goal and find sites you could reach out to for your link building campaign. Even better, you can compose outreach emails (or use one of the templates provided) and send it straight from SEO Powersuite. It will then keep track of your progress until you finally secure a link.
All in all, SEO Powersuite has more than enough firepower to help you come up with an SEO strategy for your business or client.
SEO Pwersuite vs Ahrefs
- SEO Powersuite is user-friendly; You could be up-and-running in a matter of minutes.
- SEO Powersuite is considerably more affordable than Ahrefs.
- SEO Powersuite lets you work offline which means you could continue working anytime, anywhere.
- Ahrefs provide more metrics to help you understand your domain’s performance.
- Ahrefs has better filter options that help you find the exact data you need.
- Ahrefs does a better job of integrating its features; With SEO Powersuite, you’d have to toggle between features which can be messy and time-consuming.
You can use SEO Powersuite for free. And it won’t even require you to enter your credit card information. There’s also no expiration. But as you might expect, the features you could access are limited.
If you want the full experience, you’ll have to subscribe to one of two plans: Professional ($299/year) or Enterprise ($699/year).
SEO Pwersuite’s paid plans include the ability to generate reports. However, only the Enterprise version lets you create white-label reports.
If you want to give other users access, you’d have to pay for another license. So if you plan on working with a team, then this product could get expensive fast. Just keep that in mind.
Let’s be clear: KWFinder is just one of Mangools’ SEO-related products. But it is by far the most popular.
However, your Mangools subscription gives you access to the whole product line. So it’s only fitting that we talk about Mangools as a whole. That way, you know exactly what you’re getting when you sign up.
How to Use KWFinder
There are five Mangools tools in total and each one performs a specific task. But as you use the products, you’ll realize that they actually work together. That’s the reason why you can’t buy tools piecemeal.
Let’s take a closer look at what each product does.
- KWFinder — This product focuses on keyword research. With this tool, you can find new words and phrases you could target. Even better, it shows you which of these new terms are the easiest to rank for. You can even look at your competitor’s target terms to understand their strategy.
- SERPChecker — Use the SERPChecker tool to boost your local SEO strategy. How? It will show you previews of location-specific search results for the keyword you entered. And you can do this for a specific city or country.
- SERPWatcher — The SERPWatcher is what you need if you want to keep track of your performance in the SERPs. You can have it send you daily updates and track rankings on both mobile and desktop searches.
- LinkMiner — No SEO tool is complete without a backlink research tool. LinkMiner is Mangools’ backlink checker. With it, you can spy on your competitor’s backlinks and build new relationships with these link sources before your next link building campaign.
- Site Profiler — This feature lets you check a site’s health using metrics by Moz and Majestic. You can use this to see if a backlink is spammy. Or you could check if a site’s content generates traffic.
There are marketers who stand by the quality of data that KWFinder delivers. One great thing about it is that you can find new terms using a seed keyword or by entering a domain (such as your competitors’ site). That way, you’ll have a good starting point.
KWFinder vs Ahrefs
- KWFinder is a great option for one-man operations and SEO freelancers.
- KWFinder is a more affordable solution.
- KWFinder’s mid- and high-tier plans include additional user access (3 and 10 maximum users respectively).
- Ahrefs offers third-party integrations while KWFinder does not.
- Ahrefs has better product integration compared to KWFinder.
- Ahrefs’ dashboard feels more comprehensive than KWFinder.
Perhaps the most exciting part about Mangools is its affordable pricing. There are three plans: Mangools Basic ($49/month), Mangools Premium ($69/month), and Mangools Agency ($129/month).
If you opt for annual billing, the prices go down drastically. The Basic plan, for example, becomes $29.90/month. That’s quite the deal.
To most marketers, Moz Pro needs no introduction. Both product and company have been around for a while now. So it’s one of the most trusted brands in SEO.
But can it live up to Ahrefs?
How to Use Moz Pro
Moz Pro has all the tools you’ll need to make sure that every aspect of your site is properly optimized.
- Campaigns — This is your starting point. You add the domain that you want Moz Pro to keep track of. After adding the domain, you get an overview of your site’s current SEO health.
- Rankings — You use this feature to see which of your pages rank in the SERPs. There are also metrics you could use to gain a better understanding of how well you’re performing.
- Page Optimization — It’s a quick way to see how optimized your pages are. There’s an overall score. You want to get that as close to 100 as possible by following the recommendations that Moz provides.
- Site Crawl — This addresses technical issues found throughout your domain. It includes missing metadata, redirect issues, and others like them.
- Links — The Links feature does several things including find new and lost backlinks as well as domains that link back to your competitors.
- Keyword Research — Enter your seed keyword and Moz will find other keyword opportunities you could exploit. Of course, Moz will also provide metrics so you could see which keywords have the most potential.
Moz Pro vs Ahrefs
- When it comes to keyword research, many argue that Moz Pro’s keyword tool performs better than Ahrefs.
- Moz Pro is more affordable from its mid-tier plan upwards.
- The Page Optimization feature tends to bring out all the issues that plague your landing pages.
- Ahrefs has a better backlink database.
- Ahrefs has the edge as far as filter options go.
- Ahrefs has more metrics to show so you could really narrow down the results based on metrics that matter to you.
Moz offers four plans starting with Standard ($99/month). Then you have Medium ($149/month), Large ($249/month), and Premium ($599/month).
There is a 30-day free trial so you can try it for yourself.
SpyFu is an SEO tool that’s centered around competitor research. More specifically, it probes into your competitor’s SEO and PPC strategies.
The goal is for you to come up with a strategy based on what’s already working for other domains in your niche.
How to Use SpyFu
SpyFu has five main areas of specialization with a mixture of features that support them. These areas are SEO research, PPC research, keyword research, backlinks, and tracking.
- SEO Research — Here you can find out who your competitors are, what keywords they rank for, their ranking history, top pages, and backlinks.
- PPC Research — This functions in the same way as SEO Research. Only this time, there’s more focus on your competitor’s AdWords strategy.
- Keyword Research — Use this feature to find related keywords, see advertiser and ranking history, and backlinks.
- Backlinks — SpyFu’s backlink feature allows you to find sites that help your competitors rank in search engines. There’s also a backlink outreach feature that makes it easier to reach out to potential link building prospects.
- Tracking — Monitors the activity of keywords that you add to your list.
There are other minor features not mentioned like List Builder. And yes, SpyFu does have a built-in reporting feature.
SpyFu vs Ahrefs
- SpyFu is focused on competitor data which is great if that’s exactly what you need.
- SpyFu gives you unlimited data.
- SpyFu is more affordable than Ahrefs
- Ahrefs has a better database to pull data from.
- Ahrefs lets you customize your search results through its filtering system.
- Ahrefs gives you localized results and mobile rankings.
SpyFu plans start at $39/month for its Basic plan. The Professional plan is $79/month while the Team plan is $299/month.
Compared to Ahrefs, this pricing structure is considerably cheaper. This makes SpyFu a good option for anyone with a tight budget.
There’s no free trial but there is a 30-day money-back guarantee.
SE Ranking positions itself as an all-in-one SEO tool with solutions targeted for small-time entrepreneurs to large corporations.
Does it have what it takes to take on Ahrefs, though?
How to Use SE Ranking
There are four main features under SE Ranking: SEO tools, SEO/PPC competitor research, B2B features, and social media management.
Here’s a breakdown of what each one can do for you.
- SEO Tools — This feature includes tools like the Keyword Rank Tracker, Website Audit, On-Page Checker, Backlink Checker, Backlink Monitoring, Keyword Suggestion, and Marketing Plan. That last one makes it easier to create a roadmap for your marketing strategy.
- SEO/PPC Competitor Research — You get to see which keywords are worth investing in. The tool also tells you who your competitors are based on a search query. It will also inform you which keywords they’re currently targeting.
- B2B Features — The B2B features include the ability to create white-label reports and a lead generator you could use to capture the contact details of potential clients. There’s also API support for those who need it.
- Social Media Management — This is a feature that lets you schedule and post social media content automatically. It even goes as far as to tell you the best time to post and what kind of content you should publish.
SE Ranking vs Ahrefs
- SE Ranking’s white label reporting is sleek, detailed, and modern.
- SE Ranking has a free version (that’s on top of their free trial option).
- SE Ranking’s Marketing Plan feature is a great step-by-step guide for new SEOs.
- Ahrefs has a more stable and consistent rank tracking feature performance.
- Ahrefs comes with a solid database where it draws its results from.
- Ahrefs has a more complex filtering system than SE Rankings.
There are three plans available: Optimum ($39/month), Plus ($89/month), and Enterprise ($189/month).
But here’s where it gets interesting. By configuring the different options, you can reduce the price even further. For example, if you’re choosing to check the rankings on a weekly basis, pay annually, and only track 250 keywords, then the Optimum plan comes down to $18.6/month.
Serpstat is one of those companies that you may not have heard of but is definitely worth checking. It’s an all-in-one solution like Ahrefs that covers keyword research, rank tracking, and any other tool you might need to boost your rankings.
How to Use Serpstat
Like all the tools we’ve covered so far, Serpstat is packed with lots of features that will help you optimize your site to its maximum potential.
- SEO Research — Find the right keywords, discover your top pages, and learn who your competitors are.
- PPC Research — See what keywords you should focus on for your next PPC campaign. It shows the average monthly search volume, cost per click, and competition of every keyword you’re considering.
- Content Marketing — This feature lets you optimize your content by reminding you which long-tail keywords you should add in your posts.
- SERP Analysis — Helps you analyze the top 10 pages that rank for your target keyword. It also breaks down their trust rank, page rank, backlinks, and referring domains.
- Keyword Clustering — This is useful for those of you who’d like to organize your similar and related keywords.
- Competitive Analysis — It shows your competition’s key metrics as it would on your site.
- On-Page Optimization — This is Serpstat’s version of a site audit feature.
- Link Building — Helps you manage your link profile and compares it with your main competitors.
- Rank Tracker — It monitors your rankings on SERPs based on keywords you targeted.
Serpstat vs Ahrefs
- Serpstat comes with great browser extensions (Google, Mozilla, and Opera) that perform instant on-page analysis.
- Serpstat has a useful Content Marketing feature that tells you which long-tail keywords to shoot for.
- Serpstat’s plans can accommodate at least three users: Standard (3 users), Advanced (5 users), and Enterprise (7 users).
- Ahrefs has a better database compared to Serpstat.
- Ahrefs makes use of advanced operators to refine your searches.
- Ahrefs has more metrics you could use to assess pages, links, and keywords.
You can choose from four plans or contact Serpstat for a customized solution to your SEO needs.
Lite is the entry-level plan and it costs $69/month. Then you have Standard ($149/month), Advanced ($299/month), and Enterprise ($499/month).
It’s much cheaper than Ahrefs but a bit pricier than the other tools mentioned in this list.
Advanced SEOs could get a kick out of SEOprofiler. It has most of the features you’ve come to expect from an SEO tool. It’s notable for giving you the ability to gain complete control over marketing strategy.
How to Use SEOprofiler
Let’s go over SEOprofiler’s best features.
- Rank Tracking — Check your rankings on a daily basis. It covers up to 162 countries and lets you check SERP results for both desktop and mobile devices.
- Keyword Research — Find new words or phrases to explore or spy on your competitor’s keywords.
- Website Automation — Run automated website audits.
- Link Analysis — Analyze any site to see all its backlinks. Or use it on your site and remove bad ones.
- Link Building — Manage your backlinks and find prospective influencers to work with.
- Local SEO — Check the rankings of local businesses.
- Mobile SEO — Optimize your site for mobile devices.
- Competitive Intelligence — Use this to analyze your business competitors.
SEOprofiler vs Ahrefs
- SEOprofiler has built-in features that maximize its multi-user experience.
- SEOprofiler has specific features that put emphasis on SERP performance on mobile devices.
- SEOprofiler lets you create more projects compared to Ahrefs.
- Ahrefs still has a tried-and-tested database that its users love.
- Ahrefs has its powerful Content Explorer feature that analyzes the top 10 results for a given keyword.
- Ahrefs is an established brand with a thriving community and tons of available resources.
You can choose from one of four plans. There’s Standard ($69.95/month), Smart ($99.95/month), Professional ($249.95/month), and Enterprise ($999.95/month).
You can try the Smart plan for a week at no cost to you.